How does acupuncture help digestive disorders?
Acupuncture helps relieve symptoms of digestive disorders by restoring normal digestive function in the body. Acupuncture points commonly used to relieve gastrointestinal symptoms have been shown to:
• Reduce gastric acid secretion, decreasing acid reflux and irritation to the oesophagus.
• Increase intestinal movement, reducing bloating, constipation and pain associated with slow transit of food through the GI tract.
• Stimulate gastric motility and normal downward gastric emptying, alleviating nausea and vomiting.
• Relieve visceral pain by promoting the release of natural opioids and beta-endorphins which act as natural painkillers and enhance feelings of well being. The pain relieving effects of acupuncture may be beneficial in IBS as this is associated with visceral hypersensitivity.
• Calm an over stimulated sympathetic nervous system which can speed up intestinal motility and colonic transit time and lead to diarrhoea and frequency in IBS sufferers.
Lifestyle and dietary advice
Treatment includes dietary and lifestyle advice to help you control your condition and relieve digestive disorders.